OUTSIDE LINE APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM:
This program is a 3 ½ year program.
- All the outside Local Unions have out-of-work books to sign to go to work as a groundman which is similar to a laborer. It does not cost anything to sign the books. When your name comes up on the books and you are called to go to work, you join the union as a groundman. The initiation fee for a groundman is $23.40. As a groundman, you work with linemen on all types of line work (substations, street lighting, distribution, transmission, and underground jobs). This gives you an idea of the work involved if you become an apprentice and eventually a Journeyman Lineman. If you like the work, etc., then you can apply for the apprenticeship.
- To apply, a person follows the directions listed below. Rules which apply are listed on that sheet.
The Apprenticeship Committee will set up interviews and notify each applicant where and when they will be held. The Committee is made up of three Business Managers from the different line locals and three contractors from the 5-state area. When interviews are completed, each applicant is placed on the list depending on their total score (the score is determined by their interview, and things like grades, past working experience, and other things in their file).
They maintain a separate “pool” for each state to draw the names from as contractors call for apprentices. ONE IMPORTANT THING: THIS IS A 5-STATE PROGRAM (COVERING MONTANA, WYOMING, COLORADO, IDAHO AND UTAH) AND AT THE COMMITTEE’S DISCRETION, YOU WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO DIFFERENT AREAS DURING YOUR APPRENTICESHIP. THIS IS A MANDATORY REQUIREMENT.
When a line contractor needs an apprentice:
They call the apprenticeship committee and the apprenticeship committee calls the first applicant. He/she reports to work for the contractor as a 1st step apprentice (2nd or 3rd step based on past experience). The apprentice must pay for his own tools, hooks, line boots, safety belt, and apprenticeship books. He/she will then work full-time for that contractor. He will also pay $47.00 initiation fee to the union (less $23.40 if he has already joined as a groundman), then $42.00 per month in basic dues after that.
The apprentice will attend school one evening a week in the town nearest to where he is working. Some schools, depending on the area, are held on Saturdays.
The Journeymen working in Montana currently are paid $45.74 per hour. The apprentices are paid based on a percentage of the Journeyman rate and receive raises every six months. A 1st step is paid 60% and a 2nd step is paid 65%. Once the apprenticeship program is completed, the apprentice must pass a Journeyman Examination.
4. As a member of the union, whether you start as a groundman or an apprentice, you become eligible for two pensions, an annuity, life insurance and health insurance for you and your dependents AT NO COST TO YOU! Plus there is an additional pension you build up from paying union dues.
If you have any other questions, please give a call to the Local 532 IBEW at 406-248-9119 and speak to Jeff, Steve or Austin.
Ways to Apply
The Mountain States Line Constructors JATC accepts applications to the apprenticeship program the year round. Those who return completed applications and the requested supporting documentation are invited to an oral interview. Applicants are scored by the Interview Committee based on the information in their application and the oral interview; they are then placed on a list in order of preference. As jobs become available, applicants on the list are assigned to an employer for training.
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.
Once your application has been processed and you have gone through your interview you may be selected to attend a five day 12hr orientation. We will not be able to indenture you as an apprentice until you have successfully completed the orientation. Not everyone who attends an orientation passes, not everyone who passes becomes indentured.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO PROCESSING FEES
DOCUMENTED ECONOMIC HARDSHIPS MAY BE CONSIDERED FOR WAIVER ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS, CONTACT THE AJATC FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The recruitment, selection, employment and training of apprentices during their apprenticeship, shall be without discrimination because of face, color, religion, national origin, sex or age- except the application must meet the minimum age requirement. The AJATC does not, and will not, discriminate against a qualified individual with a disability because of the disability of such individual.
Submit your online application today!
The best way to apply for Apprenticeship is to fill out our online application form and submit it directly to our office. You will receive a personal and secure online application account. The online account allows you to finish your application in a timely manner, submit it, and review your status.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF LINE APPRENTICESHIP OPPORTUNITIES
FOR THE TRADE OF: Outside Electrical Lineman
NUMBER OF OPENINGS: As needed
DATES FOR APPLICATION ACCEPTANCE: January 1, 2019 thru December 31, 2019
PROGRAM SPONSOR: Mountain States Line Constructors Apprenticeship & Training (MSLCAT)
HOW TO APPLY:
Go ONLINE at: www.mslcat.org
GEOGRAPHICAL AREA: Five State Area which includes Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah and Wyoming
AGE: Minimum 18 years
EDUCATION: High School Graduate or GED
Current Valid Driver’s License
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT:
1. Birth Certificate
2. Official transcript of school course and grades
3. High School Diploma
4. Official GED, if applicable
5. Veteran’s discharge records (DD-214), if applicable
6. Current Valid Driver’s License and DMV Report
7. Physical Examination, if selected
8. Drug Screen Test, if selected
All applicants will be selected without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.